Sunday, November 6, 2011

That was FUN!

This isn't about the journey. This is about the disbelief, joy, tears of happiness and big squishy hugs as we surprised our daughter by showing up unannounced at her dorm in Arizona. We learned she couldn't come home for Thanksgiving and it really bothered all of us, but we understood. Classes are important as are her grades. We talked about it and while she was disappointed, she told us that at least she would be home in December for a month. I missed her and I knew she missed me. We decided we could make a quick trip to Flagstaff to see her. Her roomie knew as did several other of her friends. I told a fib about a package arriving on Friday to ensure she would be around and not off with her friends. We called her and told her that the package was listed as having arrived and she should go ask her RA about it. Unknown to us, she was just around the corner in the dorm kitchen and very quickly was at the desk. As she had her back to the lobby, I sent her little brother around the corner. He tapped her on the shoulder. She first looked right, thinking her friend had tapped her. She then realized that Laura was too far away. She turned to her left and saw her brother standing there. The looks on her face were priceless.
In her own words, "'Wow. He looks a lot like my brother. I hope he doesn't live here, cause that'd be awkward.... Wait. He looks ALOT like my brother... But he can't be, cause Scott lives 500 miles away. Holy crap. IT IS MY BROTHER.' And then all I can say is "What the heck?"
At that point, I rounded the corner and she cried and hugged me tightly. Best feeling ever! We only had about 21 hours together but it was completely worth the long drive. Will report on my weight loss journey another day. Today is for enjoying the feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment