So, it's been a LONG while. Life got busy, confusing, frustrating and downright strange. A catch up: worked many long hours, spent too many hours pushing past the pain in my back and in May, developed a hernia. Managed to get into the Doc in July and scheduled for surgery in September. Easy, right? Nope. I have to be special. My prep labs (September 21st) came back with a low hemoglobin level. So much so, that I had to repeat labs the following Monday (September 24th). Surgery was cancelled just hours before as my levels continued to fall. On Tuesday (the 25th), I was sent for another blood test. Early Thursday afternoon, I was called by my doctor while on my lunch break and told to report to Bakersfield Heart Hospital immediately to register for admission on Friday. My hemoglobin had fallen to just 4.8. I left work shaking with worry and had my husband drive me. Friday, September 28th I reported to the hospital and received 3 units of packed red blood cells. I was there ALL day. Test results the following Monday showed that my levels went up to 7.8. Still in the "dangerously low" range but almost to the "low" range. I was advised to not drive as I could pass out at any time. I was immediately given stat appointments to a gastroenterologist, a hemo/oncologist and an endocrinologist. I am currently receiving Venofer (an IV iron) twice a week when they can stick me. Apparently I have REALLY TEENY VEINS. 5 treatments out of 10 have been completed. Once I finish these, I will have a lot of additional testing. I'll keep it all here. There's more to the current journey I'm on, but I need to get to bed. 4:15 am will be here before I know it.
No comments:
Post a Comment